Monday, April 27, 2015

The Journey of a New Violinist

My Progress!

Well honestly, learning how to play the violin is kind of hard; whats even harder than that is figuring out what song you want to learn and play. Thats my problem; I have no idea what song I want to learn how to play for my genius hour presentation. My grandpa has a hymn book with all my favorite hymns and the hymns have the music notes for the vocal part only (since we are christians and our church believes that we arent allowed to sing hymns with instruments). ive been practicing my favorite hymn and i kind of have the really good part down. i can play it but it sounds like im a violininst that is really rusty and havent even bothered to practice that particular song.
Im learning the notes to each song i like and i practice them all everyday, and almost toward the end of this project, my parents will help me chose what song i should do by having me auditioin with every song i have been practicing. i also found this song that i really do like its called Tragedy by Christina Perri. i think its a good idea to learn this song because the main instrument is the violin. i have been listening to it and listening to it to figure out the notes for the entire song. i worked on the song for the maximum for a day, but thats because i "have a good ear." and this next problem i have is that i just need like at the most three little sections that i need to figure out the notes on. two of them are the vocal part and the other part is a small violin solo. i am still working on the figuring out thing for the vocal part, but i just need help on the violin solo. i am going to ask my friend Valeria to help me figure out the notes for the solo. my one other problem is the bow. i can hold the bow, but no matter how much rosin i put on the stinking bow, it still sounds weird. also i have trouble on the bowing, its not that i dont know the bowings, but its that i am trying to play on one string, and im playing on two. but all this needs is practice and practice and so much more practice. im trying to practice as much im practicing the guitar because since im in a mariachi group, we have so many competitions comming up and its kinda hard to keep up with both at the same time. 

1 comment:

  1. To learn how to play violin was my Genius Hour project last year too! It can be difficult at times, but what I have learned is that practice does make perfect. Just start off with some easy children songs and further from there. God luck!

    ReplyDelete